Friday 12 July 2013

Housing Works & CSR

Today, the second part of my project here in NY kicked off. I met with David Raper, Vice President at Housing Works, who had kindly agreed to meet with me some months ago when my fellowship was first awarded. 

Housing Works is a nonprofit working with people affected by both homelessness and HIV/Aids, through their advocacy work and by providing life saving services. It feels like they have a high profile here, many people mentioned them yesterday during our thrifting day. 

Housing Works runs 12 stores in NY city and a bookstore cafe which is where we met today. The bookshop feels anything but charity shop, with it's dark wood floor to ceiling shelving and a funky mezzanine level running around the edge of the store. All the books are second hand mainly in 'as new' or lightly used condition. They are extremely well categorised (my dad would be pleased), and are well priced (approx. 1/3 RRP). I've resisted buying anything here because I've worked out if I keep purchasing at the current rate we will be taking 17 suitcases home with us!! 



The cafe at the back of the bookstore is simple but let's just say I WANT ONE! The coffee is good, the muffins and cookies are made fresh on site, the frozen tea & coffee would give Starbucks a run for it's money and the music is chilling me out to the point of needing a little sleep (I'm blogging from here). Luckily there are no sofas so that won't happen, this is the only tiny downside to the cafe. The first Mercy in Action cafe will most definitely include sofas! 



 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
As well as the bookstore and their unique boutique take on thrift stores (I visited one yesterday and another today which I haven't had chance to tell you about yet...), Housing Works run some very exciting and innovative CSR programs which generate an important part of their annual $13m turnover. 
www.fashionforaction.org

 

Fashion for Action, an annual fundraiser running for it's 9th consecutive year, takes place in November. The 2012 event brought together 250 brands who donated over $1m worth of fashion, accessories and beauty items. The event launches with a VIP night and then opens its doors to the general public over the follow few days. All items are available at charitable prices. 
 
Design on a Dime is another annual fundraiser that Housing Works coordinate. This year the benefit event featured 62 of the world’s top interior designers. Each designer created a room vignette using new and donated merchandise from high-end manufacturers and dealers. The items were then sold for 50-70% off retail pricing. This years event raised a staggering and record breaking $1.1m!
 
Buy the Bag is another of their fundraising initiatives  but as we are planning a visit to the store in Brooklyn tomorrow I'll tell you more then...
 
If this has sparked your interest in CSR and you want to know more about what David shared with me, I can send you a copy of my final research report. Just email me at r.bright@mercyinaction.org.uk

 

No comments:

Post a Comment