Thursday 15 August 2013

Lazy days around Monterey & your fellowship?...

The last few days in Monterey have been relaxed and low key ones. With a few local miles added to the clock this week we are on the cusp on 5,000 miles for the trip. Just 100 more to the airport before the trip is over. (Sad face).

Before I sign off for the penultimate time, I wanted to tell you a little more about the Winston Churchill Memorial Trust (WCMT). The WCMT have funded my fellowship travels, and are actively seeking 120 (ish) new fellows for 2014. You don't have to have letters after your name (although it won't be held against you if you do!), or be an expert in applying for grants (the whole process is surprising easy, in fact the biggest challenge is keeping to the word count). Just live in the UK, have a great idea, show that it can benefit the UK and love adventurous travel!

I have become increasingly aware that as my trip draws to an end, my fellowship is actually just beginning. When I come home I will actively develop CSR partnerships within the charity I work for and begin to implement some of the great ideas I have picked up on along the way, whilst also sharing my research with the charity retail sector within the UK. This is just the start of my journey as a WCMT Fellow and I'm excited about what the future may hold. 

So, consider whether you should apply - seriously. There are a diverse selection of categories - young people, communities, education, environment & sustainable living to name a few. Then just to ensure no one is excluded there is an 'open' category in case your project doesn't fit into any of the others! You will need to have 4-8 weeks to travel and lots and lots of time to plan and research your trip, but (and I hope you have picked this up from my blog), the fellowship experience is an awesome and hugely rewarding one. Take a look and dream a little....www.wcmt.org.uk 

Oh and if you are serious, hurry up! Applications close on 24th September, if you miss that you'll have to wait until next year.

I can't let you leave without sharing a couple of pictures from this week of course...Firstly, the Monterey wildlife.
 

A young sea otter having a chat with a local bird! 

More of the sea lion population, just off Monterey's Fisherman's Wharf

California is known for it's giant redwoods so a visit to Henry Cowell State Park, near Santa Cruz, had to form part of this weeks itinerary.



Also went to see the San Andrea's fault line in San Juan Bautista where a local antique fair was on. The flat bit in the middle between the hills is where the plates meet...cracks can open up apparently so we didn't hang around!


...but loved these bird houses attached to forks and spades even more!
Liked these clever little vintage tea cup bird feeders...

We also went on our very own treasure hunt...searching for jade on Big Sur. Sadly, deciphering between serpentine and jade is a challenge for the untrained eye, but we may just have a few small pieces to take home (yes, it's legal to remove it!)...stunningly beautiful coastline too.



We head back home on Friday but I promise a final post before then to prove we really are getting on that plane.... 


No comments:

Post a Comment